Two die in murder, suicide

  • Thursday, June 20, 2013


Dorchester County Coroner Christopher D. Nisbet announced Tuesday afternoon, in a press release, that 27-year-old Peter Centel Williams of 4674 Thoroughbred Drive, North Charleston, shot himself to death after shooting and killing 35-year-old Zakiya Lawson.
North Charleston Police Department responded to a criminal domestic violence in progress at the Thoroughbred Drive address, which is in the Saddlebrook Mobile Home Park off Ashley Phosphate Road, Nisbet reported.
When they arrived at the residence, they could hear yelling coming from the mobile home. According to Nisbet, the female was running in and out of the door shouting that he [Williams] had a gun.
The North Charleston Police officers tried to get her to stay outside, but she kept going back in, said Nisbet.
Nisbet said officers were trying to call Williams out of the residence as well.
Lawson went back in once more, while the officers were getting ready to breach the door, and this is when officers heard the shots, said Nisbet.
Lawson has seven children, said Nisbet, five of whom were in the residence at the time of the murder/suicide. Williams was originally from the Ridgeville area. The couple was not married, according to Nisbet.
However, according to NCPD, the coroner’s scenario is not quite accurate. They say the victim, Lawson, never left the trailer.
When officers arrived on scene, they were informed, by the witness who had called 911, Lawson’s sister, that Williams had a gun and was threatening Lawson. Officers secured the outside of the residence and surrounded the trailer.
Yelling for Williams to come out, officers spoke with another of Lawson’s sisters, who exited the house and informed them that her sister was still inside with Williams.
Officers yelled again for Williams to come out, according to the incident report, and within seconds heard two gunshots and what sounded like something hitting the floor.
Making entry into the residence officers “cleared” it and observed two deceased bodies on the floor in the living room/kitchen area.
Officers secured the scene and took the two sisters and Lawson’s son, another witness, securing each in various police units. Officers removed Lawson’s three toddlers from a vehicle parked across the street from the residence handing them over to a sister.
The investigation is still ongoing, said NCPD spokesman Spencer Pryor.
This was not the first time NCPD was called for a domestic violence incident involving the two. On February 26, police were called to an address on Buck Pond Road. When police arrived, Williams had already fled the scene leaving Lawson with a swollen and bloody nose as a result of him punching her in the face.
Charges were filed and Williams was arrested and released on bond.

Latest Videos
News from Twitter

The Journal Scene

© 2016 The Journal Scene an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.