Bank robbery suspects in custody

  • Monday, July 1, 2013

Police perimeter near Givhans State Park—Police set up a perimeter after a bank robbery at the Suntrust and a high speed chase from Coosaw Creek Blv. near Dorchester JUDY WATTS


Related Content

The three men accused of robbing a SunTrust Bank in North Charleston are in custody.
North Charleston police and Dorchester County Sheriff's deputies searched through the night in the woods, including ditches waist-high and higher with water, near Givhans Ferry State Park after two of the men crashed into another car and fled on foot.
At approximately 9 a.m., Deputy's from the DCSO were called to the Roger's residence at 332 Campbell Road in reference to two black males asking to use the phone, said North Charleston Police Department PIO Spencer Pryor. (911 AUDIO AT BOTTOM OF STORY)
During the 911 call, the caller tells the dispatcher that the two are "sitting on the porch," that they are hurt with what they told her was a broken arm and a broken foot, wearing a green "something."
They asked her to call them a cab, which she did and then she promptly called 911.
On scene, the two suspects -- Tyrone Darius Ellison, 23, and Ronald Lamont Lance, 27, both of No. Charleston, were taken into custody without incident.
They were transported to Summerville Medical because of injuries sustained during the collision that took place Monday evening during a high-speed chase.  The two suspects will be lodged at the Dorchester County Detention Center.
Christopher Nehemiah Coburn, 29, of No. Charleston, who was driving the car after the bank robbery and was pushed out of the vehicle on Patriot's Blvd., by one of the other suspects during the pursuit, was arrested late Monday night.His bond is set at $50,000.
At this time the suspects are charged with Entering a Bank with Intent to Steal and Failure to Stop for Blue Lights.
The two people in the car they hit were seriously injured and transported to MUSC, one by airlift.
According to police, two men entered the bank at Dorchester Road and Club Course Drive just before 5 p.m. Monday and demanded money.
They fled with an undetermined amount of money to a waiting vehicle.
Pryor explained how the high-speed car chase began.
"The vehicle was spotted by Officers in the area of Patriots Blvd. The driver failed to stop and eluded police. During the pursuit, the driver stopped at some point and bailed out of the vehicle. The passenger got behind the wheel and continued running from police,” according to Pryor.
South Carolina Highway Patrol reported the chase ended abruptly at 5:05 p.m. near Givhans Ferry State Park when the 2007 Hyundai, traveling north on Highway 61 slammed into a Honda, traveling north in front of them and making a left turn onto Campbell Road. The occupants of the Honda were seriously injured. Identities of the occupants have not been released but one was 57 years old and the other 55. The 55-year-old was flown by helicopter to MUSC. The 57-year-old was also transported to MUSC.
As of 7:10 p.m. police were sealing a perimeter on Highway 61, Old Beech Hill Road, Hill Branch Road and Campbell Road. North Charleston Police, DCSO, K-9 Units and US Marshals were on scene. The deluge of rain made the hunt difficult.
According to a DCSO source, money was falling out as the suspects fled.
Police and crime scene units are still in the area, retrieving money and continuing the investigation.
Anyone with information regarding the suspects is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 554-1111.

Latest Videos
News from Twitter

The Journal Scene

© 2016 The Journal Scene an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.