Tuesday, August 27, 2013
A Berkeley County man died of electrocution Saturday while working on an ice machine behind his Red Oak Circle home near Summerville.
The Berkeley County Coroner's Office was notified of a death at 6:20 p.m., according to Berkeley County Coroner Bill Salisbury.
James Montgomery, 68, was last seen at about 10:30 a.m. The ice machine was in the garage behind his home.
His wife could not reach him by phone. She called her son who lives across the street go over and check on him, according to Salisbury.
That’s when the son found him lying on the floor near the ice machine and called EMS.
Montgomery was pronounced dead on the scene by the Deputy Coroner Darnell Hartwell, according to Salisbury.
The victim’s body was transported to MUSC and an autopsy was conducted. Coroner Salisbury ruled the death an accident with the cause being electrocution.