Trident Burn Clinic Recognizes Fire Prevention Week
Second to motor vehicle accidents, burn injuries top the list of causes of accidental deaths in the United States. 2.4 million burn injuries are reported each year.
Knowing that over 50 percent of all of burn injuries are preventable, the staff at Trident Burn Clinic would like to share some facts related to fire prevention and tips to help keep families free from burn injury:
• The majority of fires that kill or injure children are residential fires
• Fires kill about 500 children ages 14 and under each year
• The leading cause of home fires and related injuries is home cooking equipment – however, most fire-related deaths are from residential fires ignited by smoking materials such as cigarettes
• Thermal injuries can be caused by products like hair curlers, curling irons, room heaters, ovens and stoves, irons, gasoline and fireworks
• Residential fires and deaths occur more frequently during cold-weather months when portable or space heating equipment is utilized
How Can You Keep Your Family Safe?
• Keep space heaters away from blankets/curtains/stuffed animals and small hands
• Unplug electrical appliances while not in use
• Discard appliances with faulty electrical cords
• Protect your family and home with smoke alarms!
• Be sure to change the batteries in your home’s smoke detector every year
• And most importantly HAVE A PLAN! There is a high level of chaos during a fire, it is important to review your plan of escape with your family before an event occurs, being sure to have an agreed upon meeting place for everyone to report to.
For more information or to learn how you can schedule an appointment to be seen at the Trident Outpatient Burn Clinic please call 1-877-863-9595.
Trident Health is an HCA hospital system comprised of two acute care hospitals – Trident Medical Center and Summerville Medical Center – as well as Moncks Corner Medical Center.
The Joint Commission recently named Trident Health to their list of the nation’s top hospitals for quality and safety.
In 2012, Trident Health provided almost $40 million in charity and uncompensated care and contributed $27 million in taxes. Accredited by The Joint Commission, Trident Health is committed to providing quality health services along with wellness information and opportunities to the communities it serves.
For more information about Trident Health, please visit our website at www.tridenthealthsystem.com or call 843.797.7000.