Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Summerville Fire Department responded to an initial report of a closed damper filling a residence with smoke that quickly upgraded to fire in the walls Jan. 7 at 9:04 p.m. at the corner of West 5th North Street and Bryan Street.
When they arrived flames were shooting out from under the roof but within 20 minutes, said Fire Chief Richard Waring, the department had brought the fire under control.
They spent the next two hours knocking down hot spots in the frigid temperatures that left the side of the burned structure covered with ice.
“I even had ice on my helmet!” laughed Waring.
No one was hurt and the occupants were safely out of the dwelling by the time firefighters arrived. The Red Cross was on scene helping the family.
The fire started on the first floor, said Waring, and spread to the attic most likely through the chimney area.
The townhouse had a fireplace with a metal stovepipe chimney that was boxed in with wood.
The interior of the home suffered heat, smoke and water damage but did not burn and the lights inside remained on throughout.
SCE&G was on scene.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, said Waring.
Four engines, a ladder truck, Battalion Chief and four volunteers responded along with DCEMS and Summerville Police.