Monday, August 6, 2012
Medium onion, sliced
Garlic clove, minced
Large tomato, slice very thin
Canned, crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/4 teaspoons
Medium eggplant, sliced very thing
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. SauteŽ onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 baking dish.
3. SauteŽ the garlic for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
5. Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
6. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over top.
7. Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
9. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.
Summerville Journal Scene is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Summerville Journal Scene.
© 2014 Trident Health.