Monday, August 6, 2012
Medium onion, sliced
Garlic clove, minced
Large tomato, slice very thin
Canned, crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/4 teaspoons
Medium eggplant, sliced very thing
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. SauteŽ onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 baking dish.
3. SauteŽ the garlic for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
5. Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
6. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over top.
7. Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
9. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.
© 2015 Trident Health.