|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Medium onion, sliced||1|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Large tomato, slice very thin||1|
|Canned, crushed tomatoes||1 cup|
|Dried basil||1 1/2 teaspoons|
|Dried basil||1 1/4 teaspoons|
|Medium eggplant, sliced very thing||1|
|Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese||8 ounces|
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute´ onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 baking dish.
3. Saute´ the garlic for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
5. Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
6. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over top.
7. Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
9. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.