Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Ingredients and Preparation
Low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 32-ounce box
98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
1 10.75-ounce can
Jalapeno, diced (optional)
Black beans, drained *
Garlic clove, minced
Small white onion, chopped
Yellow bell pepper, chopped
Chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
Low-fat sour cream
Reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
6-inch flour tortillas, cut into ˝-inch strips
*To reduce sodium content, rinse beans in a strainer under cool running water.
2. Add chicken broth, mushrooom soup, jalapeno, and black beans to a large crockpot (alternatively, you can use a large pot on the stove over medium-low heat).
3. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté garlic, onion, and pepper for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cumin, and chili powder, and continue cooking 3-4 minutes, until chicken is lightly browned on all sides. Transfer vegetable and chicken mixture to crockpot (or pot).
4. Cook in crockpot for 3-4 hours on high (or simmer in a pot over low heat for 1-2 hours).
5. Bake tortilla strips on a nonstick cookie sheet at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until crisp.
6. Serve soup in bowls over tortilla strips, topping each with ˝ tablespoon sour cream, ˝ tablespoon cheese, ˝ tablespoon salsa, and a slice of lime.
The Journal Scene is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not The Journal Scene.
© 2015 Trident Health.