Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Ingredients and Preparation
Low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 32-ounce box
98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
1 10.75-ounce can
Jalapeno, diced (optional)
Black beans, drained *
Garlic clove, minced
Small white onion, chopped
Yellow bell pepper, chopped
Chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
Low-fat sour cream
Reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
6-inch flour tortillas, cut into ˝-inch strips
*To reduce sodium content, rinse beans in a strainer under cool running water.
2. Add chicken broth, mushrooom soup, jalapeno, and black beans to a large crockpot (alternatively, you can use a large pot on the stove over medium-low heat).
3. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté garlic, onion, and pepper for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cumin, and chili powder, and continue cooking 3-4 minutes, until chicken is lightly browned on all sides. Transfer vegetable and chicken mixture to crockpot (or pot).
4. Cook in crockpot for 3-4 hours on high (or simmer in a pot over low heat for 1-2 hours).
5. Bake tortilla strips on a nonstick cookie sheet at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until crisp.
6. Serve soup in bowls over tortilla strips, topping each with ˝ tablespoon sour cream, ˝ tablespoon cheese, ˝ tablespoon salsa, and a slice of lime.
© 2014 Trident Health.