Coach McKissick wins 406th game

  • Friday, October 26, 2012

The top photo was taken by staffer Sharon S. Brown as John McKissick's players carried him to midfield following Summerville's 42-0 victory at Wando on Friday October 8, 1993.


As originally published on October 13, 1993

Mount Pleasant - The Summerville Green Wave played like a team possessed and rolled up a 42-0 shutout of Wando to give Coach John McKissick his 406th career football coaching victory and the national high school record.
Though the game was played at Wando Stadium, nearly half of the estimated 8,000 fans belonged to Summerville.
Two major factors that had nothing that had nothing to do with playing football figured to have a great influence on this game. The first was the tremendous amount of media coverage, which served as a constant distraction to Summerville. The second was a question of whether the Wando Warriors would be extra motivated to keep McKissick from getting his record against them.
However, 80 Green Wave players refused to let anything stand in the way of this record.
"I don't think the distractions got to them. I think they really wanted to do good, and like I told them before the game, it didn't matter if it was 406 or the first win, we wanted to play good and we wanted to beat Wando. That was the main thing. And if it added up to 406, great," McKissick said.
In his 42nd year of coaching at Summerville, McKissick has compiled a 406-85-13 record to pass Gordon Wood of Brownwood, Texas, who retired in 1985 with a 405-88-12 record with seven different teams.
"When you're around youngsters like that it keeps you young. You may not look young all the time, but you feel young," McKissick said when asked about his longevity. "A lot of (former players) live around Summerville. I hear from a lot of them. I'm just real proud of the success they've had and I just hope I've had a little influence on them."
One of those former players was Wando coach Dickey Dingle, who spent the week convincing his Warriors they were good enough to upset Summerville, now 6-1.
"There's been a lot of distractions this week and it was a little tough focusing on what we needed to do," Dingle said. "(Summerville) just whipped our tails on the line. They won the battle in the trenches."
Summerville's defense set the tone of the game by forcing and recovering a fumble on the first play from scrimmage. The Green Wave offense was unable to take advantage on that series, but were on a roll. Wando had only 68 yards of total offense and two first downs the entire game. The Wave also picked up two fumbles and made an interception.
"We just wanted to work on shutting them out and knocking them out of the game," senior defensive lineman Ian Rafferty said. "We always get ahead and let the other team back in the game. We just wanted to knock them out before halftime and enjoy the rest of the game."
Summerville's knockout punch was, of all things, an aerial attack that hadn't been effective all season. 
Quarterback DeMarcus Valentine was 3-for-3 for 54 yards and Keith Mack hit Demetrius Geddis for a 20-yard touchdown on a halfback option pass. 
Valentine's first completion was a 20-yard throw to Billy Totten to set up Travis Martin's 3-yard scoring run in the first quarter.
Valentine upped the score to 14-0 on the next series, breaking free on an option keeper past the right tackle and outrunning everyone for a 61-yard TD. 
Wando quarterback Jamie Waldrep was victimized by a huge defensive rush on the next series. Someone in a crowd of defenders got a hand up and blocked Waldrep's attempted pass. Chad Stepherson caught the deflection to set Summerville up at the Warrior 29-yard line.
On Summerville's next play, Valentine threw a perfect 29-yard TD pass to Totten who caught the ball as he was streaking toward the back right corner of the end zone.
Wando substitute quarterback Rogers Hook fumbled the snap on the Warriors' next play and defensive end Eric Myers fell on the ball.
Mack threw his 20-yard pass to Geddis, who was double-covered in the end zone. Summerville had a 28-0 halftime lead and complete control of the game.
Martin scored on a 2-yard run in the second half, and Nicholas Taylor added a 60-yard punt return for the final TD.



Latest Videos
News from Twitter

The Journal Scene

© 2016 The Journal Scene an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.