Monday, January 14, 2013
The South Carolina Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities (SCGSAH) is currently accepting applications for the 2013 summer programs and the 2013/2014 academic high school year until January 9, 2013.
This public residential high school serves students state-wide and is located in downtown Greenville. The 2013/14 High School program offers rigorous academics and pre-professional training in one of five arts areas: Creative Writing, Dance, Drama, Music or Visual Arts. Summer Programs are offered in each of the art areas.
Students have an opportunity to learn with the best faculty and take the next steps in their artistic and/or academic careers. Academic instructors all have attained Masters and/or Doctorate degrees. Artistic faculty members are active in their disciplines led by a collection of distinguished Department Chairs: award-winning, published author Scott Gould, world-renowned dancer and choreographer Josée Garant, nationally accomplished actor/director Daniel Murray, experienced conductor/musician Dr. David Hamilton, and successful artist/sculptor Joe Thompson.
The High School accepts applications in any art area from current high school sophomores. Exceptions:
· Music: In addition to sophomores, high school juniors may apply and audition to attend the Music program during their senior year. Applicants must exhibit an advanced level of training that would allow them to thrive within a rigorous music program. The Music Department will consider exceptionally talented current freshman students as Instrumental Early Admission applicants for three years of study.
· Dance: Students interested in the Dance program may apply as a Freshman or Sophomore to attend the High School.
Summer Programs include:
· Discovery - A two-week program in Creative Writing, Drama, Music or Visual Arts for rising 9th graders. Apply in the 8th grade.
· Academy - A two-week program in Creative Writing, Drama, Music or Visual Arts for rising 10th grade students. Apply in the 9th grade.
· Summer Dance - A five-week program in ballet and modern dance for rising 7th through 12th graders. Apply in grades 6-11.
Applications are available online at www.scgsah.org.
All applications must be postmarked by Friday, January 9, 2013.
For more information on SCGSAH, contact the Enrollment office at 864.282.3713 or visit the website: www.scgsah.org.
Summerville Journal Scene is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Summerville Journal Scene.