GMS students back in class after bathroom fire
Gregg Middle School students are back in class and the school is operating on normal schedule after a small fire caused an evacuation this morning.
Dorchester School District 2 PIO Pat Raynor said the incident occurred around 9:30 a.m. Feb. 6 after smoke was detected in the 400 building of the school.
Firefighters from the Summerville Fire Department quickly arrived on scene and determined the origin of the smoke was from a roll of toilet paper that had been ignited and placed on a toilet seat cover in a bathroom in the building. This produced significant smoke but caused no damage to the building, Raynor said.
Students were out of class for about an hour, Raynor said. No one was injured, she said.
Five classrooms in the 400 building are still not being used and those classes are being held elsewhere on campus, however, clean up crews will be brought in shortly and those classrooms should be back in use tomorrow, Raynor said.
SFD and DD2 officials are investigating the incident.