Thursday, February 14, 2013
The Dorchester School District 2 Board of Trustees took another step to bring more transparency to the district’s business with the establishment of committee assignments for 2013.
Board Chair Gail Hughes announced the committees and reflected a little on what she believes their purpose should be during the board’s Feb. 11 meeting.
“I think there has been something of a lack of structure on the committees,” she said. “I want to see them more structured – I want a mission statement, vision, and values for all of them. I think this is important – it’s all part of the transparency we’re all striving for.”
Hughes noted that all committee meetings will be open to the public, minutes will be kept, and agendas and meeting times and places will be posted on the district website.
“The public needs to know what we’re working on and when we’re doing it, and hopefully they will take an interest and become more involved,” she said.
Hughes then announced committee assignments, which are as follows:
• Facilities Committee – Lisa Tupper, Chair, and Tanya Robinson
• Safety Committee- Frances Townsend, Chair, and Lisa Tupper
• Construction Committee- Sam Clark, Chair, Gail Hughes, Charlie Stoudenmire, Alternate
• Policy Committee – Charlie Stoudenmire, Chair, and Sam Clark
• Budget Committee – Barbara Crosby, Chair, and Tanya Robinson
• Technology Committee – Charlie Stoudenmire, Chair, Frances Townsend, Barbara Crosby
In addition, at the request of the legislative delegation the board will form a Legislative Committee upon which all board members will serve.
The committees will meet quarterly and report back to the full board, Hughes said.
Other business discussed:
• Hughes also gave a brief report on her recent trip to Washington D.C. for the annual meeting with the federal legislative delegation. Unlike last year, Hughes said she felt much better about the delegation’s commitment to public education and especially praised Sen. Tim Scott as one who she believes will be a strong advocate for the district and for public education.
• The board recognized the district’s four National Merit Scholarship Finalists for 2013. They are Benjamin Falter of Summerville High School, Elliott Mueller of Fort Dorchester High School, Sean Kamperman of Ashley Ridge High School and Kathleen Crotty of Ashley Ridge High School.