Tuesday, August 27, 2013
A Berkeley County man died of electrocution Saturday while working on an ice machine behind his Red Oak Circle home near Summerville.
The Berkeley County Coroner's Office was notified of a death at 6:20 p.m., according to Berkeley County Coroner Bill Salisbury.
James Montgomery, 68, was last seen at about 10:30 a.m. The ice machine was in the garage behind his home.
His wife could not reach him by phone. She called her son who lives across the street go over and check on him, according to Salisbury.
That’s when the son found him lying on the floor near the ice machine and called EMS.
Montgomery was pronounced dead on the scene by the Deputy Coroner Darnell Hartwell, according to Salisbury.
The victim’s body was transported to MUSC and an autopsy was conducted. Coroner Salisbury ruled the death an accident with the cause being electrocution.
Summerville Journal Scene is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Summerville Journal Scene.