Chocolate Raspberry Torte
Ingredients and Preparation
|Unsweetened cocoa||½ cup + 2 teaspoons|
|All-purpose flour||1 cup|
|Baking soda||½ teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1¼ cups|
|Fat-free milk||1 cup|
|Unsweetened chocolate, melted||1 ounce|
|Vanilla extract||1½ teaspoons|
|Large egg whites||4 |
|Seedless raspberry jam||¼ cup|
|Confectionary sugar||1 tablespoon|
|Fresh raspberries||3 pints|
2. Heat oven to 350°F.
3. Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. Coat bottom and sides with 2 teaspoons of cocoa.
4. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
5. Combine milk and remaining ½ cup cocoa in a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes until mixture thickens.
6. Remove from heat and whisk in melted chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Whisk cocoa mixture into dry ingredients until blended.
7. Beat egg whites in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar.
8. Gradually increase speed to medium-high, and beat to stiff peaks. Gently fold one-third of egg whites into chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula. Then fold in remaining whites just until smooth.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan.
10.Bake 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
11.Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.
12.Invert cake onto a plate. Invert again onto wire rack and cool completely.
13.Split cake into two layers. Remove top layer. Place bottom layer on serving plate.
14.Spread jam over bottom layer; place top layer over jam, cut side down.
15.Garnish with ½ cup fresh raspberries per serving.
16.Sift with confectioners’ sugar over top.