Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Dorchester District Two schools will be closed Thursday.
The following organizations have announced closures related to forecasted inclement weather. This story will be updated as information becomes available.
• Dorchester County offices, courts
Dorchester County officials announced Tuesday afternoon that county offices and courts will be closed on Wednesday, Feb. 12. Emergency response employees will work as directed by their supervisors.
• Dorchester District Two schools
Dorchester District Two schools will be closed Wednesday, Feb. 12.
• Trident Technical College Summerville Site at Trolley Road will be closed on Wednesday.
• Pinewood Prep. Due to forecasted hazardous conditions, the Pinewood Preparatory School campus will be closed Wed., Feb. 12. All school, afterschool and athletic activities are cancelled. The school’s administration will monitor conditions and provide updated information about Thursday’s schedule later tomorrow.
• Joint Base Charleston for Feb. 12. “mission essential personnel” only.
• Naval Health Clinic. Due to impending inclement weather, Naval Health Clinic Charleston will open at 10 a.m. February 12. Patients with scheduled appointments before 10 a.m. will be contacted by NHCC personnel to reschedule. If you have not been contacted by Friday, February 14 to reschedule, please contact the appointment line at (843) 794-6221.
• Crisis Ministries & Palmetto House will open more areas of their facility for guests to escape the cold when the temperature is forecast to be 40 degrees or lower. ADA Compliant.
Crisis Ministries: 573 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29403
Palmetto House (no men): 107 Elks Lodge Lane Summerville, SC 29483
• Antioch Community Ministries 1250 Central Ave. Summerville 875-2518
Small warming center– No beds - open at 5 p.m. (doors close at 9 p.m.) Monday - Friday. ADA Compliant
• Charleston County Sheriff’s Office Camp Facility, Leeds Ave in North Charleston.
Opening Tues - Fri 5 p.m. to 9 a.m.
Large warming shelter at the work camp facility on next to the Sheriff Cannon Detention Center. They will not do background checks – anyone can come and spend the night.
They will have beds, showers, food & medical staff on site.
• CARTA will provide free transportation to this warming shelter.
CARTA will be making a constant loop at the following locations throughout the night:
• Meeting and Columbus
• Meeting and Lee
• Meeting and John near the visitor’s center
• The Carta bus stop on Spring St near the McDonalds (230 Spring St)
• Across the street from TriCounty Family Ministries (3349 Rivers Ave, North Charleston)
• The Carta bus stops surrounding Goodwill on Rivers (6607 Rivers Ave, North Charleston)
The Journal Scene is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not The Journal Scene.