Wednesday, February 19, 2014
According to Capital Improvements Director Robert Folkman, as reported to the Dorchester District Two Board of Trustees Feb. 10, the referendum capitol improvement project is moving along.
Updates on new school construction and existing school renovations are as follows.
Dr. Eugene Sire Elementary:
• Per meeting with SCDOT on Feb. 4 the Miles-Jamison road improvements design concept was approved.
• Buy-in by the County and Town this week is critical to assure the August 2015 opening date.
• Construction documents are 95 percent complete and are with OSF for review.
Alston -Bailey Elementary:
• Design development documents are currently at OSF.
• Construction documents are 75 percent complete.
• Per meeting with SCDOT on Feb. 5 the site layout and Highway 78 access points have been approved.
• Construction documents are complete.
• Waiting on OSF approval to go to bid.
• Property transfer (tax sale) remains in progress.
• Roadway property transfer from SCDOT being finalized (recorded).
Flowertown and Newington Elementary:
• Remain in pre-design phase.
Eagle Nest Elementary:
• remains in pre-design phase.
Fort Dorchester High School:
• Schematic design documents are 50 percent complete.
• Site selection remains in progress.
• Beech Hill Elementary advertising for bids this week.
• OSF is currently reviewing Gregg, Givhans, Windsor Hill and Summerville ROTC projects
Remaining four projects in Phase I continue in design.
• Design development documents are currently at OSF for review (Dubose, Oakbrook and Gregg).
• Alston Middle design documents remain on hold.
• Due diligence and as-built records remain in progress.
• Waiting on surveys for two small parcels behind AMS. Closings to follow.
• East Edistor Property closing pending contract changes required by D2 bond attorney.
• Waiting on survey needed for closing of 10 acres being donated by MWV at ARHS.
• Next outreach meeting is scheduled for March 4 at SHS at 6 p.m.
• Next CIP update to the Chamber is scheduled for March 4 at 8 a.m.
• Dana Risher has joined the CIP staff. She replaces Sara Cowart who left D2 for another opportunity.
• MB Kahn continues estimating each project at SD. DD and CD documents are issued by the architects.
• Internal review of each project continues by Facilities, Safety/Security, Technology and CIP staff to assure consistency of materials and systems specified meets the expectations of D2.
• CIP staff continues interfacing with Oversight Committee and Building sub-committee.
• Rick Rogers needs to acknowledged as the “solution finder” for the ES3 site selection.
• Coordination efforts continue with the Town of Summerville recreation department on the closing/relocation of the AMS sports field.
Summerville Journal Scene is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Summerville Journal Scene.