Friday, March 7, 2014
The City of North Charleston seeks to commission a sculptor to create depictions of the city’s two prominent mayors. The commissioned busts will be permanently featured on granite outdoor pedestals at the newly built outdoor monument at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center, 5001 Coliseum Drive in North Charleston.
Each sculpture should be at least two feet tall and cast in bronze or another metal suitable for outdoor exhibition. Professional sculptors nationwide are invited to submit their qualifications and proposals at www.northcharlestonculturalartsdepartment.slideroom.com. Submissions are due by April 8.
A Selection Committee comprising city officials and community leaders will choose one artist to create both sculptures.
The total budget for this project is yet to be determined. Artists’ proposals should include all costs including, but not limited to: artist’s design fees, materials, production costs, travel, documentation, shipping, and any permits, license, or insurance. Artists will be notified of the commission award by April 15. The sculpture installation will be approximately 120 days from the April 8 submission deadline.
In order to be considered for the commission, sculptors must submit the following RFP materials using the Slideroom.com online application:
• Statement of Interest describing specific interest in the project, potential approach, and any relevant past experience
• Thorough proposal including costs, materials, process, and timeline for creating the busts.
• Current resume/CV
• A maximum of five quality digital photographs of artist’s previous work that accurately represent the artist’s aesthetics and style. All images must be accompanied by a brief description of the artwork, title, location, size, and completion date.
• Optional: The artist’s web site may be listed. The artist may include up to three additional materials such as references, reviews, news articles, awards or other related information.
• Application fee of $7, payable online
The City of North Charleston reserves the right to reject all applications and/or adjust the project time line. For more information about this public art project, contact Cultural Arts Director, Marty Besancon, at 740-5850 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical assistance, contact Arts Coordinator, AnneTrabue Nelson, at 740-5852 or email@example.com. Visit http://bit.ly/culturalarts.