The community is uniting behind a fundraising effort for a family in need of clothing and other needs after used fireworks ignited a blaze inside a home garage on Fourth of July, destroying the two-story residence, according to a county press release.
The incident occurred Thursday at 143 Marshside Drive in the Legend Oaks subdivision; fire officials have deemed the home a total loss.
Dorchester County Fire-Rescue responded with assistance from Summerville Fire and Rescue and North Charleston Fire Department. The crew of 30 firefighters gained control of the blaze within 25 minutes of arriving at the scene, the county said.
According to fire officials, used fireworks in a garage trash can sparked the incident. County Fire Chief Tres Atkinson urged community members to submerge used fireworks in an outside container, letting them soak overnight before disposing of them.
A neighbor of the victims told the Journal Scene the family's dog, thought to have been deceased inside the home, escaped through the front door while first responders were scene; a photo captured the surreal moment.
Fire officials said the dog, and family members, were unharmed in the incident. However, at the scene county EMS treated two firefighters with minor injuries.
A GoFundMe page has been setup for the family. To date, $177 has been raised on a $5,000 goal.